Careers at CPJ
Director of Communications
Available Immediately Full-Time
in Washington, DC*
The CPJ Director of Communications is responsible for all aspects of communications. This position reports to the CEO and supports CPJ’s team. In addition, the Director of Communications manages the work of a team of contractors and interns to successfully achieve deliverables that positively represent CPJ to the public.
A commitment to Christ in all that we do is essential to the fulfillment of CPJ's mission, therefore any interested candidate should be able to demonstrate their faith commitment in practice and explain how they envision their faith connecting with their role at CPJ. Upon submission of the required application materials, only qualified candidates will be asked to review the Standards of Conduct. Prior to setting up an interview, qualified candidates will be asked to affirm that they will uphold these standards if they are selected for the position.
CPJ is a nonpartisan, independent, Christian civic education and public policy organization whose mission is to serve God, advance justice and transform public life. Through its initiatives CPJ equips citizens, develops leaders and shapes policy.
Competitive Salary, Excellent Benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience, education, and ability.
The Director of Communications will enhance the profile of the organization by developing and implementing a strategic communications plan for CPJ, aligned with CPJ strategic goals. The new plan should effectively tell the story of CPJ and generate greater awareness of CPJ’s ideas, contribute to the national dialogue, grow CPJ’s influence, and encourage greater support for CPJ’s efforts. The Director of Communications will oversee all communications, developing new and innovative ways to share CPJ’s vision, developing proactive relationships with journalists and traditional and online media outlets regarding CPJ’s work, and leading the organizational response to media inquiries.
Main Job Functions:
The Director of Communications will:
- Design and implement the overall communications strategy for CPJ; with a specific focus on aligning strategy with CPJ’s strategic priority of racial equity;
- Conduct a change management process for CPJ’s public-facing and internal communications, leading the thinking on what content needs to be communicated with which internal and external audiences;
- Harmonize CPJ’s overarching brand with the strengths of CPJ’s initiatives, providing cohesion for CPJ overall, with attention to the diverse audiences of each initiative;
- Lead strategic redevelopment and implementation planning for multiple types of communication including online and offline publications, social media accounts, websites, and other CPJ-generated content to promote CPJ’s vision and priorities;
- Design and implement communication to engage donors and the public through online and offline activities;
- Lead creative development of content including web copy, newsletter copy, press releases, and any other content creation needs including surveys, presentations, etc.;
- Design CPJ’s media plan, building strong working relationships with media professionals and growing CPJ’s media presence and placement;
- Coordinate CPJ’s rapid response to media inquiries, as well as serve in collaboration with coalition partners to manage press briefings and coordinate media coverage for events;
- Design and oversee implementation of CPJ’s virtual and in-person event strategies including development of run of show and communications logistics management;
- Design and implement CPJ’s digital strategy including identifying key online metrics and developing a systematic evaluation in order to give expert guidance to program leads;
- Create and harmonize branding language for key organizational promotional materials and websites;
- Assess online presence and develop a content strategy for social media;
- Identify social media trends and determine if there is a strategic fit for CPJ on new platforms;
- Ensure that both internal and external communications are innovative, interesting, current, and regular.
Persons applying for the position should:
- Have a personal, active and demonstrable commitment to Christ, CPJ’s mission, and uphold the commitments in the Standards of Faith and Conduct as articulated in CPJ’s Employee Handbook
- Have a demonstrable commitment to stewardship of an organization’s brand, public profile, and internal organizational information
- Have demonstrable experience cultivating increasing levels of engagement through various communications methods with stakeholders in CPJ’s priority areas, including leaders of faith-based organizations representing communities of color
- Demonstrate significant vocational or professional experience in communications
- Have a demonstrable track record of developing and executing a strategic communications plan, including developing and evaluating metrics for success
- Hold at minimum a bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Be an excellent written and verbal communicator
- Be extremely detail oriented, highly organized and flexible
- Be a self-starter and function well with little supervision, but with high regard for direction of organizational leadership
- Be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, some of which require a planning process (strategy) and others that often require quick turnaround
- Be motivated by working to support a staff and volunteer team to accomplish its shared mission and support completion of their efforts through storytelling
- Be able to travel to CPJ events, both locally and throughout the United States on a limited basis, up to 2 weekends each year *
- Be adaptable as the scope of responsibilities changes shape over time
Ideal candidates will also possess these attributes:
- Familiarity and/or demonstrable understanding of the Reformed theological tradition and in particular its expression in the concept of public justice,
- Knowledge and/or experience working in public policy.
Physical requirements include:
- Sitting for long periods of time at the computer
- Ability to operate and lift media equipment
*Important information regarding COVID-19 and telework. CPJ follows public health guidance regarding temporary office closure, temporary suspension of employee travel, and expanded telework during COVID-19. During the period CPJ’s office is closed, employee travel has been suspended and full telework from a remote location is allowed. Once public health guidance regarding telework during COVID-19 allows for a reopening of CPJ’s office, in order to fulfill the requirements of the position, the Director of Communications must be based in the Washington, DC metro area. This position is not intended to be, nor is it being made permanently available as a fully-telework or fully-remote-employee position.
Application Process: Applicants should submit a cover letter including salary requirements, a current resume, a portfolio of relevant work, and three references with contact information including name, relationship, address, email and telephone numbers. At least two professional references and one character reference who can speak to the candidate’s spiritual maturity are requested.
Inquiries and application materials should be sent via email (with the resume as a Word or PDF attachment) to the contact below, referencing “Director of Communications” in the subject line.
No paper applications or phone calls please.
Contact: Oliver Mead | email@example.com